08 September 2009
Speech
So I read some interesting acticles in the newspaper today about the contreversy surrounding President Obama's speech on education. I think parents taking their children out of school to miss the speech is ridiculous. First of all, the speech has no political left-wing agenda that these ultra conservatives are so afraid of. It was solely a motivational speech about why kids should stay in school and do their best to get a good education. Second, we should be teaching our children to respect the president, not just President Obama, but the office of the President, no matter what political party the president belongs to. Even the LDS church's first presidency has said that we should support and pray for our president. Another thing is the American people voted President Obama in, so the children of America should have the opportunity to hear from him. Just because our kids hear the speech doesn't mean they are now going to agree with everything Obama does or says now or in the future. In fact, if you have a strong opinion about politics, now is a great time to discuss the issues with your kids, and why you feel that way, etc. I think these conservative/anti-Obama motions have got to stop, just out of respect for the president, if not for any other reason. If I get another anti-Obama email I am going to scream. I encourage all of you to read the speech yourself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I totally agree. :)
Well said honey! It really is ridiculous.
I completely disagree. A much better option would have been for Obama to make a speech to families. A speech that parents could discuss with their children over the dinner table. The president's job is to serve the people, not the other way around. I believe any parent has the right to not allow their children to view a speech that the parents have not been allowed to censor.
It's not a speech to families though Lisa. ;) Yes, we know it's you, so why did you comment anonymously? It's a speech directed at education for youth. A speech to families? That's something entirely different. Why are you even bringing that up? I don't get it. I agree that parents should be allowed to censor what their children listen to, but had this been ANY other president, these people wouldn't be making such a fuss. In fact, historically speaking, parents have never done something like this until now. I mean come on, are we boycotting the speech or our president here? I'm not totally for Obama's ideas, but Jenny's points here are pretty solid. Some people are just extremists. *cough cough*
Post a Comment