09 April 2009

Snake Dilemna


In the summer of 2006 I was taking out the garbage and I stepped on a snake in our backyard. I didn't go back out there for weeks. I don't really like snakes. Ever since then we have seen tons of snakes. I told our landlords and they said snakes are good for the garden and the yard and our neighbor said the same thing. I just think it's scary to have them so close and see them so often especially when bringing kids out there. Justin named one that lives under our shed Henry the snake, and he and the boys watch it and bug it every once in a while. Henry the snake is about 18 inches long and most likely a garter snake so pretty much harmless, or so they say. My mother was here a few days ago and saw Henry, she doesn't like it either so she said she would tell my dad to take care of it. I said well maybe, I didn't really consider killing it. I told Justin and he said he could kill it too, but maybe we shouldn't. So my parents came over today and my mom told my dad to take care of it, and he wouldn't. He said it hasn't really done any harm, and it keeps the mice away, so no need to kill it. Besides, more snakes will come. My mom said think of the children. I have been thinking about it and maybe we should let poor Henry live. It's just too bad he has to live so close. I have cut back on my gardening and yard work tons because he just creeps me out. I just hope when we buy a house of our own we won't have so many snakes live so close. What do you think? Should Mr. Henry the snake live or die?

9 comments:

Justin Furr said...

Babe...Henry is fine. He's completely harmless. The kids like him. He's friendly and gives us something to do in our backyard. I think he's the only one too. Remember, I've picked him up before and played with him? He lives under the shed there and only comes out once in a while. You're so funny Jenny. Michael likes exploring and trying to find him. I only said I'd kill him if you really wanted me too. But your dad is right, more will just come. This is their home too. We should let him live.

Nielsen Family said...

I have never been afraid of snakes and in fact as I child I would pick them up and keep them as pets. They are harmless, I promise. We have seen a snake in our yard last year and Kyla and I followed it and played with it and she LOVED it. I understand if you are afraid of it though but for the kids sake there is no harm in having a garden snake around your home. Thats my two sense!

Marilyn said...

Did you know that you can buy snake repellent? It doesn't hurt the snake, they are just repelled by it. It think they havce it at garden centers. You can't help it if you are afraid of snakes. My mom is terrified of them, just like I'm afraid of spiders.

Rack said...

I grew up in the middle of farm country. Because we had a lot of irrigation ditches in the fields around our house we had a lot of snakes regularly in our yard. It was a little unsettling. I remember as a kid being scared whenever I walked by one patch of peppermint that housed a family of snakes. And of course, my older brother found great pleasure in catching snakes and chasing after all us girls with them. But they were completely harmless and never hurt any of us. Though if they had bit my brother I probably wouldn't have minded. :) So I would say, let Henry live.

Jen said...

Let Henry the Snake live!!!

pat,lyll,jadyn,maddux,bodey said...

hey jenny, i found you from the mchs blog. i hope its ok if i add you. this post makes me laugh especially your husbands comment. and i hate snakes everyone seems for him living but i dont know if hes keeping you from gardening i would say he has to go.

Roxie said...

KILL THE SNAKE>>I HATE ALL SNAKES!

Anonymous said...

live! live! you just need to get to know him better.

Justin Furr said...

Cool! Looks like we have a lot of people voting both ways. I kinda wanted to keep him as a pet. But Jenny would hate that. ;) I think we're either gonna just let him be or take him somewhere else. I like him there personally but if Jenny hates it so bad, I can move him to another place.